Minimally invasive surgeries are frequently performed throughout the United States by gynecologists in modern OB/GYN offices with the best of medical technology and skilled support staff.
Today’s sophisticated medical technology and advanced medical techniques offer women the treatment alternative of resolving many gynecological conditions through minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. Hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, and robotics are just a few examples of the many medical innovations that have altogether revolutionized the practice of gynecology. As a result, hysteroscopy can now be successfully treated in the gynecologist’s office, without having to check into a hospital.
What is Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery?
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery is a surgical technique performed using a telescope with a lighted digital camera inserted into the abdomen (laparoscopy), or through the cervix into the uterus (hysteroscopy). Internal body images are projected onto high-definition viewing screens, while the surgeon uses a variety of small surgical instruments to perform the procedure.
Medical Conditions Surgically Treated in the OB/GYN Office
Pathologies that are within the scope of general gynecological training and that can often be treated with minimally invasive surgery in a gynecologist’s office include benign (noncancerous) gynecologic problems such as:
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
- Pelvic pain
Minimally Invasive Treatment Options
Some very effective options for gynecologic treatments by minimally invasive surgery include:
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Vaginal surgery
- Hysteroscopic surgery
Procedures That Can Be Performed in OB/GYN Offices
Some of the specific minimally invasive surgical procedures that are frequently performed in gynecologists’ offices these days include:
- Endometrial ablation
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy
- Treatment for some types of infertility
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Treatment Options
Conventional surgeries are more physically invasive, typically involve greater discomfort, and are more disruptive to women’s daily lives. Highly-effective minimally invasive gynecological surgery benefits many women throughout the US in some important ways, including:
- Shorter hospital stays — These procedures typically do not require overnight stays when performed in a hospital.
- No hospital stay — The majority of these surgeries can be performed as out-patient treatments in the modern OB/GYN office.
- Shorter recovery times — Recovery is usually much quicker than from traditional surgery so that women can resume normal physical activities sooner.
- Less pain and discomfort — Typically, post-operative pain or discomfort is minimal.
- Reduced blood loss — Since the procedures are minimally invasive, there is less blood loss and reduced need for blood transfusions than with more invasive surgery.
- Reduced risk of infection — Because there is less bleeding, surgical incisions are smaller and infection risk is lessened.
- Minimal scarring — Because incisions are smaller for these procedures, scarring is reduced.
- Fertility benefits — Many minimally invasive procedures can maintain or improve women’s fertility.
For more information about minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, or to make an appointment to see a Little Rock, AR OB/GYN, contact The Women’s Clinic at (501) 664-4131 . We have been serving women’s healthcare needs in Arkansas for more than 80 years.